The week of 14—20 April is celebrated as National Fire Service Week nationwide, while 14 April is observed as India Fire Safety Day
The week of 14—20 April is celebrated as National Fire Service Week nationwide, while 14 April is observed as India Fire Safety Day. The day is observed as a tribute to the brave firefighters who lost their lives in the massive fire and explosion that took place at Bombay Dockyard in 1944.
Essar, too, celebrated the National Fire Service Week at its steel manufacturing units and Heavy Engineering Services.
In line with this year’s theme of “Prevent Fire Accident—Promote Nation’s Development”,
Essar undertook many initiatives, like:
- Knowledge sharing session on “Fire Prevention & Fire Protection” conducted by Mr JB Shetty (Former Divisional Fire Officer, Mumbai Fire Brigade).
- On the spot fire safety quiz
- Table top scenario based emergency preparedness & response competition.
- Scenario based group practical fire fighting competition.
- Online Sujhav competition on fire prevention through engineering control.
- Screening of fire prevention & emergency preparedness movie on local TV channel.
- Practical firefighting & rescue demonstration by Fire Team & Auxiliary fire squad.
- Special appreciation awards for various plant and individuals for their contribution towards emergency preparedness and best fire prevention practices.
More than 1,000 people, including employees and contract workers, participated in these programmes.