Essar Steel Pune Facility (ESPF) has been declared the winner of the Gold Award in the Metal and Mining sector, by Greentech Safety Award 2012 for outstanding achievement in Safety Management. The award will be presented during the 11th Annual Global Fire, Safety & Security Conference to be held at Srinagar, in July 2012.
The Greentech Foundation, a non-profit organization based in New Delhi, presents the Greentech Safety Awards every year to companies, organizations and individuals for significant contribution and achievement in the area of fire and safety management at the workplace.
An award-winning safety culture
This is the first safety award ESPF has received from an external organization since the Group’s acquisition of the plant from Shree Precoated Steel in 2009. Essar Steel formally took possession of the precoated steels plant near Pune, on October 30, 2009. Within two-and-a-half years, the Essar team at ESPF, transformed the safety environment at the facility in to an award-winning safety culture.
Key safety achievements and highlights since acquisition:
- 85 per cent reduction in overall accidents.
- Changes in safety culture: Senior management visibility and commitment towards safety.
- Implemented contractor safety management to streamline contractor safety.
- Organized various HSE training programs starting from the top management to the contractual workforce.
- Set up HSE Training Centre within complex.
- Set up Fire Control Room with dedicated fire crew and emergency vehicle to tackle any emergency timely and effectively.
- HSE Bulletin published and circulated among employees and contract employees.
- Organized various medical check-up camps, for diabetes, eye health, etc. for employees and contractual employees.
- Driving safety directives being strictly followed.
- Home safety, and fire and safety training to school children and villagers
in the vicinity of the complex.