Essar Oil, Vadinar, and Essar Steel Hazira – were named 'Water Efficient Unit - Within the fence' at the 8th Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) national award for Excellence in Water Management 2011, held in Jaipur, Rajasthan, on November 23-25.
A whopping 195 nominations were received this year. The top 40 water-efficient industrial units in India were shortlisted by an expert panel of judges and invited to make presentations at the three-day event which culminated in an awards function.
Essar Oil, Vadinar
Dr Jayaraman Gopal, Head-HSE-Energy Business, representing Essar Oil, Vadinar, accepted the winner's trophy and certificate at the awards function.
There was all-round appreciation for the excellent work done by the refinery and our team in working towards achieving several improvements in water management initiatives like:
- Recharging of well through storm runoff and rooftop water collection
- Steam traps efficient management
- Adopting drip irrigation method for water conservation
- Using the treated water from sewage treatment plant in green belt, specially for Essar House
- Reduction in specific water consumption
- Two-staged reverse osmosis plant with capacity 400m³/hr installed in order to treat the TDS-based wastewater generated from existing ETP
- Monitoring of water consumption
- Construction of oil catchers at strategic locations to avoid groundwater /surface water contamination
Essar Steel, Hazira
A team of executives from Essar Steel, Hazira, led by Mr SC Misra, VP – Utilities & Energy Management, accepted the coveted award and certificate on behalf of the company.
Essar Steel, Hazira, has participated in this national-level event for the last five years. In its very first year, in 2007, it won the award in teh category of 'Excellent Water Efficient Unit - Beyond the fence'. In 2009, Essar Steel, Hazira, beat 88 participant companies from various sectors, to be awarded 'Excellent Water efficient Unit - Within the fence'.