Mumbai: Sea Transportation division of Essar Shipping Ports & Logistics Ltd (ESPLL), an integrated logistics solution provider, today became the first shipping company in India to be awarded the OHSAS 18001:2007 certification. ESPLL has set a benchmark with this prestigious certification, underscoring the company’s commitment towards international standards in occupational health and safety.
OHSAS 18001:2007 is a standard for Occupation Health and Safety Assessment Series for health and safety management systems. It is intended to help organizations to control occupational health and safety risks. It was developed in response to widespread demand for a recognized standard against which to be certified and assessed.
ESPLL is committed to the health and safety of its employees without compromise and to the safety of all people contracted to work offshore and onshore. Safety is largely about culture. It aims at ultimately institutionalizing an effective and efficient safety system. Our goal is for Essar to be acclaimed as a leader in Safety.
ESPLL was the first Indian shipping company to comply with the IMO's International Safety Management Code and is also a recipient of ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 14001:2004 certification to the sea transportation division by ABS Quality Evaluations Inc.
Capt. Anoop Sharma – CEO, (Sea Transportation) ESPLL, said, “It is a very satisfying moment for us to be awarded the OHSAS in the year when Essar is observing 2010 as the Year of Safety. It has always been our endeavor to benchmark our safety standards with International norms. We are pleased to be the first Indian company to have been awarded the internationally acclaimed OHSAS 18001:2007 certification, which has rapidly become the most widely used international OH&S management standard.”
Traditionally, very few shipping companies have adopted a proactive approach towards health-related matters for seafarers. The seafarers work in harsh environments, and often have only telephonic access to medical facilities due to the ship being far out at sea. Hence, the management of ESPLL went ahead with the initiative to include health as an integral component of the management system. The implementation process started in 2009 and, over the year, ESPLL has implemented several measures to identify and control matters affecting seafarers’ health on board.
The American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) has awarded the certification. With this certification, ESPLL has gone beyond legal compliance to be on par with the international best. It has embarked on the health and safety journey to realize its mission of providing its employees with a safe and healthy workplace.
Some of the other awards:
- Most Quality Conscious Indian Shipping Company- Year 2002 on World Maritime Day, 2003
- The Safest Indian Shipping Company- Year 2004 on World Maritime Day, 2005
- The Safest Indian Shipping Company- Year 2005 on World Maritime Day, 2006
- Most Quality Conscious Indian Shipping Company- Year 2005 on World Maritime Day, 2006
- The Best Bulk Operator Award Middle East/Indian Sub continent region- Year 2005-06
- The Best Tanker Operator Award Middle East/Indian Sub continent region- Year 2005-06
- Ship Of the year (Indian Flag in Foreign trade) presented to M.T. Smiti for Year 2006
- Safest and Most Environmentally Conscious Indian Shipping Company- WMD, Sep 2007
- Safest and Most Environmentally Conscious Indian Shipping Company- WMD, Sep 2008
- Finalist for Bulk operator- Seatrade Middle Ease and Indian subcontinent awards 2009.
About Essar’s Shipping Ports & Logistics business group:
ESSAR SHIPPING PORTS & LOGISTICS
- An integrated logistics solution provider with presence in sea transportation, ports & terminals, logistics and oilfields services.
- Fleet of 25 vessels, with 14 new ships on order at an investment of more than USD 0.6 billion.
- One of India’s largest operator of ports and building a cargo-handling capacity (dry, bulk and liquid cargo) of over 150 million tonnes.
- Contract drilling services to global oil majors, with a fleet of 12 onshore rigs and one semi-submersible offshore rig; two new jack-up rigs on order.
Sea transportation: Diversified fleet of 25 vessels including VLCCs, Cape-sizes, Supramaxes, mini-bulk carriers and tugs.
- Provides crude oil and product transportation services.
- More than 220 ship years to leading Indian and global oil majors and commodity traders.
Ports & Terminals: Among India’s largest owners and operators of ports
- Vadinar, Gujarat, India: A 46-million tonne port and terminal facility to provide handling, storage and terminalling services for crude oil and petroleum products to refineries and traders.
- Hazira, Gujarat, India: A 30-million tonne all-weather deep draft bulk terminal for import of iron ore, pellets, coal, limestone and export of finished steel products.
Logistics: Provides end-to-end logistics services – from ships to ports, lighterage services to plants, intra-plant logistics and dispatching finished products to the final customer .
- Owns transhipment assets to provide lighterage support services, onshore & offshore logistics services.
- Manages a fleet of 5,000 trucks for inland transportation of steel and petroleum products.
Oilfields services: Provides contract drilling and related services to oil and gas companies worldwide, operating both offshore and onshore in diverse countries.
- Owns a fleet of 13 rigs, which includes 1 semi submersible rig and 12 onshore rigs.
Ports & Terminals:
- Vadinar, Gujarat, India: Oil terminal capacity to increase to 58 million tonnes
- Hazira, Gujarat, India: Bulk terminal capacity increase to 50 million tonnes
- Salaya, Gujarat, India: A 20-million tonne integrated terminal facility for handling coal and pet coke used in power plants
- Paradip, Orissa, India: A 14-million tonnes deep draft coal berth, as part of an agreement with the Paradip Port Trust to execute a BOT (build-operate-transfer) project, with rights to operate the berth for 30 years
- Developing Central Quay-3 to handle a 16-million tonne mechanization terminal under a ten-year License Agreement with Paradip Port Trust for export of iron ore and pellets
- Order Book of 12 new building vessels
- MOA signed for acquisition of 2x13,000 dwt Dry Bulk carriers
- Oilfields services: Two new jack-up rigs on order
About Essar Group
The Essar Group is a multinational conglomerate and a leading player in the sectors of Steel, Oil & Gas, Power, Communications, Shipping, Ports & Logistics, Projects and Minerals. With operations in more than 20 countries across five continents, the Group employs 60,000 people, with revenues of USD 15 billion.
For more information, visit www.essar.com.
For Media Queries
Manish Kedia, Sr. VP – Corporate Affairs, Essar Group,
Phone: +91 98197 30092, Email: email@example.com
Jatin Aggarwal, DGM - Corporate Communications, Essar Group,
Phone: +91 99301 36303, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org