Essar Projects' (EPL) Essar Heavy Engineering Services (EHES), achieved two years and 14 million LTI (lost time incident)-free man hours, on April 13, 2012.
It was during this period also, that the company supplied critical products for the expansion projects at Essar’s Hazira, Vadinar and Minnesota facilities.
‘Heavy engineering’ refers to the design, construction and fabrication of machines and equipment that are extra large in terms of size, weight and dimensions. The EHES unit, which is located in the Hazira complex, has the capacity to meet customer’s requirements of ferrous and non-ferrous materials products, in lengths up to 80m; sizes up to 10m X 10m, and weighing up to 250MT in one piece. The unit caters to requirements of its customers in segments ranging from refineries, petroleum complexes and fertilizer plants, to steel plants and material handling units.
In achieving this milestone, the HSE team led by JC Patel, went all-out to rope in employees and contractors’ workmen and develop a safety culture at EHES. Some of the major initiatives taken include:
- Institutionalizing safety as a line function responsibility of all personnel.
- Positive intervention and spot correction on observing unsafe behavior.
- Implementation of IMS (ISO: 14001 and OHSAS: 18001) – a structured systems approach.
- Propagating an attitude of safety through innovative engaging, communication, training and education initiatives.
- Enhancing competency and skills for safety critical posts.
- Rewards and recognition for safe behavior.
- Risk management and accident control methodology.
- Safety audit drives
- Training: 358,390 personnel were covered under 'Tool Box Talks' and 32,893 hours of safety specific training imparted.
EPL believes that by strengthening its HSE initiatives and by adopting safe work practices, the company will facilitate continual improvements, to achieve many more such significant milestones.